Sunday, February 17, 2013

Turkey Day in Sverige

Candied Sweet Potatoes
In the United States, Thanksgiving is a time for family members to fellowship together, eat lots of yummy food, maybe watch some football, and definitely have lots and lots of fun.  Until this year, I had never missed a Thanksgiving with my family, so it was a little difficult for me this past week, thinking of all of the candied sweet potatoes, greens, green beans, mashed potatoes, stuffing, etc. that I was missing, but the people I work with really helped to make the day special just the same.

As untraditional, and against my apparently very strict ideas of what Thanksgiving should be, some of the members of my lab and I went out to eat.  But we didn't just go out for some turkey and cranberry sauce.  We went out for Indian food.  It was a riot.  It was so much fun to be with my lab mates that the fact that I was eating palak paneer instead of macaroni and cheese didn't really matter.  I had a lot of fun with all of them and I am really thankful and grateful to have them as a support network over here.  It can be hard sometimes to adjust to all of these cultural (and climatic) differences, but it is nice to have some people to talk to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment